Paul van Dyk - VONYC Sessions 2013VANVS049 - December 13th, 2013
52 weeks, 52 radio shows, transmitted around the world on 60 + leading stations, in which Paul van Dyk brought over 600 tracks to the ears of VONYC Sessions ever-ready listenership in 2013. That though was the easy part! The audio artisan's end-of-year challenge is to refine those playlists down into the most requested best of the best. From twelve richly packed months of Radio tracklists, he's landscaped those first-among-equal tunes into 'the-year-that-was' mix - PvD's definitive 2013 encapsulation.
That Jan-to-December sonic-ride naturally includes tracks from some of electronic music's best-known practitioners. W&W, Ferry Corsten, Omnia, Cosmic Gate and many others are joined on its discs by newer-bloods, as 'VONYC 2013' delivers the latest/greatest studio-ware from the likes of Protoculture, Maarten de Jong, Estiva and Las Salinas. After another standout VANDIT year 'VONYC Sessions 2013' also kisses the speakers with a wealth of the label's audio. Sporting 2013 floor-quakes from Judge Jules, Alex M.O.R.P.H., Giuseppe Ottaviani and Shato & Paul Rockseek, naturally there's also much from the maestro himself.
So sit back, hit up that Play button and enjoy the 2013 ride all over again!
The first mix heads straight into the thick of it, flashing back to summer highs with PvD & Arnej's techno-rific 'We Are One 2013'. From there van Dyk reaches multiple points on the stylistic compass, building sonic mood and range into the mix's map. Las Salinas' 'Say Another What' brings tech eclecticism, whilst the deep-dive of 'Immersion' from Omnia and Alexander Popov's autumnal 'Moscow Subway' splice in deliciously moody prog-trance shades.
Sweeping up the midsection comes Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Jerome Isma Ae's propellant 'Bang', hotly chased by his new VANDIT slam-dunk 'Magnum'. Through the infectious, intense frequencies of W&W/Ummet Ozcan co-production 'The Code' and the vocal enigma of Nick The Kid & The Nameless Girl's 'Bright Light', 'VONYC Sessions' revisits the spring. Delivering the mix its conclusion, Paul invokes the atmospheric aura of his own 'Lost In Berlin' and the self-propelled drum drama of Simon Patterson's 'The One'.
"Compiling the annual VONYC Sessions album is one of the most demanding, yet fulfilling tasks I do in a year", says van Dyk. "Selecting the best of the best from your most requested tracks in any 12 month period - especially one as alive with good music as 2013, is always a challenge. The perspective it brings to the end of each year though is the reward. With the release of this 'VONYC Sessions', collectively I feel we've brought a picture-perfect representation of the year. Hopefully its one you'll return and listen to many times in the future and remember this great year that was!"
Disc 2 opens in inspired mash-up mode, fusing Ferry Corsten's latest 'Diss' with the emotional sear of PvD & Plumb's 'I Don't Deserve You'. 'Open My Eyes' makes it a van Dyk double and again opens the mix's themes up wide. In quick succession the wistful trance of Protoculture's 'Talisman', Heatbeat & Chris Schweizer's tech-elec threat 'Nasty' and Estiva's rapacious 'Dino Drums' all take their turn to hold sway.
'VONYC's mercury continues to rise with the introduction of some pure form trance courtesy of Giuseppe Ottaviani's 'Earthbeat' and Matt Davey's much-spun spin on the classic 'Greece '2000'. The Christian Burns/PvD team-up 'We Are Tonight' and the big-room bombast of 'Super Dad' (the latest from Richard Durand) keep both tempo & tone spiked. Its final minutes bring the climactic audio combustion of Shato & Paul Rockseek's early summer club-crusher 'Deer Friends', Maarten De Jong's fierce 'Face The World' and Cosmic Gate crowd-rousing/rocking 'So Get Up'.
- Paul van Dyk & ArnejWe Are One 2013 (Intro Radio Mix)04:07
- Genix & Las SalinasSay Another What (Radio Mix)03:30
- OmniaImmersion (Radio Edit)03:50
- Alexander PopovMoscow Subway (Radio Edit)03:30
- Mark SixmaRequiem (Radio Edit)03:42
- W&W & Ummet OzcanThe Code (Radio Edit)02:45
- Max GrahamThe Evil ID (Radio Edit)03:45
- Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Jerome Isma-AeBang! (Radio Edit)03:40
- Judge Jules feat. Christina NovelliCollide (Solis & Sean Truby Radio Edit)04:20
- Las Salinas & Elad EfratiNothing Lasts (Radio Edit)04:29
- Las SalinasChipsy Kings (Radio Edit)04:20
- Nick The Kid presents The Nameless Girl Bright Light (Digital Self & Tek-Tonic Mix)07:41
- Judge JulesFiber (Radio Edit)04:29
- Alex M.O.R.P.H. presents Corti Organ Magnum (Radio Edit)03:41
- Tristan D & Tangle presents Nu-StateVertigo (Original Mix)05:07
- Judge JulesPhenomenology (Radio Edit)04:36
- SHato & Paul RockseekThe Hunt (Radio Mix)03:10
- Paul van Dyk feat. Michelle Leonard Lost In Berlin (Giuseppe Ottaviani Radio Edit)04:28
- Ben Nicky & James DymondRefresh (Original Mix)07:11
- Simon Patterson feat. Lucy PullinThe One (Radio Edit)03:14
- Ferry CorstenDiss! (Original Mix Edit)03:24
- Paul van Dyk feat. PlumbI Don't Deserve You (Jerome Isma-Ae Radio Edit)03:33
- Paul van Dyk feat. Kyau & AlbertOpen My Eyes (Kyau & Albert Radio Edit)03:57
- ProtocultureTalisman (Radio Edit)03:56
- Andrew BayerEngland (Original Mix Edit)04:11
- Heatbeat & Chris SchweizerNasty (Radio Edit)04:15
- Maarten De JongWave Glider (Radio Edit)03:19
- EstivaDinodrums (Radio Edit)03:16
- DNS Project Confront (Radio Edit)03:46
- Three DrivesGreece 2000 (Matt Davey Radio Edit)03:09
- Giuseppe OttavianiEarthbeat (Radio Edit)03:54
- Las SalinasBada Bing (Daniel Garrick Radio Mix)03:22
- Christian Burns & Paul van Dyk We Are Tonight (Las Salinas Radio Edit)04:17
- Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren & ArtyThe Sun After Heartbreak (Woody van Eyden Radio Edit)03:35
- Woody van Eyden & Maarten de JongIt's A Shark! (Maarten de Jong Mix)05:47
- Richard DurandSuper Dad (Original Mix Edit)02:32
- Maarten de JongFace The World (Radio Edit)03:51
- SHato & Paul RockseekDeer Friends (Radio Edit)03:34
- Cosmic GateSo Get Up (Radio Edit)03:41
- Rick MitchellsRockin' Steady (Radio Edit)03:22